Sunday 6 August 2017

#RPGaDAY 2017 - Day 6 - A week of gaming!

Day 6 of #RPGaDay 2017. 

You can game for every day for a week. Describe what you'd do!

I've died and went to heaven. The first thing I would do is pinch myself. There's no way this could be real. It must be a dream.

Now it doesn't say that the games have to be RPGs but since this is an #RPGaDAY thing I'm guessing that we are looking for RPG answers. In reality though for me, it would be mostly boardgaming with some RPGs mixed in.

So going with the fact it has to be RPGs two thoughts come to mind. One is a 7-day mini campaign in some system. The other thought, which currently is more appealing is 7 single sessions of games I've never played before.  This is a week that's perfect for reducing my shelf of shame.

Day 1: This just makes sense that it would follow the question asked at the first of the month. The first game I would play would be the RPG I wish I was playing right now. That's the classic TSR High Adventure Cliffhangers Buck Rogers Adventure Game.

Day 2: As a follow up to day one I think I would like to try Buck Rogers XXVc another classic from TSR. This actually came out before the High Adventures Cliffhangers version and is based on the Buck Rogers serials that came out long after the comics. I bought a copy of this classic off of Wayne Humfleet (The Star Wars guy) last year and I've yet to actually try it out.

Day 3: To move away from all the sci-fi I think it's time for something more traditional. Time for some dungeon crawling, but this time, with a modern twist. Let's finally get some use out of Dungeon World which I've owned for too long to have not played yet.

Day 4: Okay now that we have Dungeon World under our belts lets check out where it came from. Day 4 will be the day of Apocalypse World. I own the original on PDF but got the print version of the second edition through the kickstarter. I'll probably grab the second edition under the assumption that it's actually an improvement on the original.

Day 5: How about something in the middle? I know I lose form RPG geek cred for this but I've never actually played a full game of Shadowrun. Looking to correct this I picked up a copy of the Shadowrun Beginner Box Set a couple years ago but haven't had a chance to use it yet. It's time to fix that.

Day 6: If you thought I lose geek cred for not having played Shadowrun, how about never having run a Cthulhu based game? That's right, I've never owned or run Call of Cthulhu. Now I do have a copy of Trail of Cthulhu as the improvements that the Gumshoe system made to the system sounded rather brilliant. So day 6 we all lose some sanity.

Day 7: I've owned a few FATE games for quite some time. Something about that system intimidates me. I just don't grock it. I've read four different FATE based games and I still don't get it. Day 7 is where I put these fears aside and just jump in. I'm going to do with this Base Raiders as I love the concept of a Super Hero dungeon crawl.


For those wishing to play along at home, here are the topics for this years #RPGaDay. Feel free to use these cues in your tweets, facebook posts, g+ threads, blog posts and more.


No comments:

Post a Comment