Tuesday 15 August 2017

#RPGaDay 2017 - Day 15 - Which RPG do I love to hack?

Day 15 of #RPGaDay 2017. 

Which RPG do you enjoy adapting the most?

This was a hard one for me as I'm not a hacker. While I love the whole DIY movement in RPGs it's just not something I've ever really been into myself. I'm more about finding that right game for you than taking a game and making it right for you.

That said there is one RPG that I hacked the setting off while keeping all of the rules. That was Dream Park from R. Talsorian Games.  The actual setting has players who are playing characters who go to a Dream Park which is this virtual reality simulator theme park. While there those characters play characters in various Dream Park Settings. So yes: this is an RPG where you play a character who is playing a character.

What I did was mash this with Running Man. I make the Dream Park a live broadcast TV show in a cyberpunk future. The players were contestants on the show. Everything they did was televised. Each episode they would meet their GM who would give them information on the game they were about to enter and the goal of that game. The various GMs were all played by me and I made up 5 or so different ones to keep things interesting. The players never knew exactly what to expect each 'show' and had to re-build their characters based on the information they got from the GM.

Some GMs would run gritty realistic games and if players missed the hints during the pre-game interview they could end up taking things like Super Powers or Magic and then they would get in game and it wouldn't work. Other GMs were willing to let anything go.

Dream Park worked awesome for this as it's the only universal system I know where you can have a Power Ranger, A 1920s Mobster, A Nam vet Sniper and a Wizard in the same party, fighting Mecha with light sabers and the game still works and is balanced. It's a brilliant system. 



For those wishing to play along at home, here are the topics for this years #RPGaDay. Feel free to use these cues in your tweets, facebook posts, g+ threads, blog posts and more.

No comments:

Post a Comment